D1Vision

Meyer Raises Eyebrows With Brian Bowen – Tremont Waters Predictions

BRIAN BOWEN MCDAA Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock | USA TODAY Sports

When it comes to predicting where a high school player will spend at least one year in college, questionably nobody does it better than 247Sports National Director of Basketball Jerry Meyer.

In fact, his numbers prove it, finishing first or second in the CrystalBall Championship over the last three years, all while making far more predictions than anyone else in the Top five. Currently Meyer holds the top spot in the 2017 CrystalBall Championship.

The CrystalBall is a great product for documenting the historic public perception of a recruitment. Individual predictors get some right and some wrong. Experts who are considered the best at predicting hover right under the 75% success rate.

Considering Meyer is attempting to correctly predict where the largest portion of a class will attend versus just who will attend a specific school, Meyer’s numbers are that more impressive.

So, when Jerry Meyer casts a vote, it can create ripples in the recruiting world and potentially cause coaches to scramble. Over the last two days his votes have caused some ‘uh oh’ moments.

BRIAN BOWEN TO … CREIGHTON:

On Thursday, April 14, Meyer cast his first of two eyebrow raising votes when he predicted McDonald’s All-American Brian Bowen would pick Creighton.

Bowen’s CrystalBall is currently a two team race for the five-star wing out of La Lumiere in Indiana. Arizona (42%) and Michigan State (37%) hold a combined 79% of the votes cast. Creighton owns 16%, or three total votes of the eighteen made to date. Two of those votes being cast after Meyer made his prediction.

Michigan State was the clear front runner holding 100% of the votes until December of 2016 when Arizona began to gain steam, eventually overtaking his home state Spartans.

Bowen has visited Creighton multiple times, including an official visit on November 11 of last year. Since then he has taken officials to Texas and Michigan State and unofficially visited Arizona and DePaul.

Bowens final five are Michigan State, Arizona, Creighton, Texas and NC State. All five have received an official visit.

Bowen told D1Vision via text Friday that he will announce his college decision by the end of April.

TREMONT WATERS TO … WESTERN KENTUCKY:

With rumors swirling that Hoyas coach John Thompson III might not return, four-star point guard Tremont Waters officially requested his release, eventually reopening his recruitment.

The diminutive guard raised eyebrows during the EYBL Summer Circuit of 2016, garnering offers from the likes of Kentucky, Duke and Kansas before eventually picking the Hoyas.

Waters had considered a final seven of Kentucky, Georgetown, Kansas, Duke, Yale, Indiana and UConn. He recently told Adam Zagoria that he was hearing from UConn, Georgetown and Creighton. Add Western Kentucky to that list, as was reported by Eric Bossi.

With little news about the current state of Waters recruitment, Georgetown continues to have a stronghold on Waters CrystalBall with 71% of the vote. Western Kentucky is a distant second with 18% or three total votes.

Still, the Hilltoppers are the first school to receive any CrystalBall votes since Waters decommitted from Georgetown. Meyer’s vote was the third, occurring on Sunday, April 16th.

Western Kentucky currently has the number five class in the 247Sports Composite Class rankings. Highlighted by the signing of five-star and McDonald’s All-American Mitchell Robinson.

Adding Tremont Waters would leapfrog the Hilltoppers to fifth overall, passing the  perennial recruiting powerhouses Duke and Louisville.

Waters reported he would like to decide “soon.”

Although neither Bowen or Waters have announced a decision, to Jerry Meyer, the decisions are clear.

 

Find D1Vision on Social:

TWITTER BUTTON

FACEBOOK BUTTON

instagram button

Follow Chip on Twitter:

TWITTER BUTTON

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *